Sunday 14 February 2016

My Valentine's Day Experience : Agnes' Story



My name is Agnes. I live in lagos. I met daniel when I was in secondary school, SS3 to be precise. Those days were one of the best days of my life especially the period he asked me out because he was like one of the finest boys in school and I just felt good about myself. Well, the only problem I had then was the fact that my parents weren’t supposed to know I had a boyfriend cause they were very strict and they would have killed me if they found out so we had to sneak around a lot, spending as much time as we could together.

After we both graduated from secondary school our relationship continued from then because we got accepted into the same university as we planned and we were studying the same course. We both got into private hostels but we didn’t stay together and this was only because he didnt agree to it. We had beautiful days together and I had my first with him just after we graduated. I can say that it was literally our best since (at least for me it was)

Like I said, we had beautiful days but he had his many flaws which turned some of my days upside down but my major problem with him was girls. We had this problem since we were in secondary school. At that time, my friends would tell me of how he used to put up pictures of other girls on facebook. I didn’t know about any of it because I didn’t have a phone then; my parents didn’t get me one until I graduated from secondary school. Now, Daniel’s problem with girls persisted and sometimes, I would catch him in the midst of girls touching at least one of them inappropriately or he would put up pictures of other girls and only put mine up as his display pictur when I complained. I confronted him about all these a few times and he would brush it off and sometimes yell at me telling me to stop trying to control him.            

As it got worse, all I wanted to do was fight for him cause I was convinced we had something and I cared about him a lot. A week before Valentine’s day that year, we made plans to go to dinner and to later go back to his place (actually, i basically made the plans) but on the morning of Valentine’s day, Daniel called me and told me he wasn’t feeling too well and asking whether we could shift our date to a week after that. Before he hung up he told me to just relax in my room, watch a movie and think about him which I told him I would do.

I was disappointed but I didn’t take it too hard. I decided to just stay in my room and watch a movie.  An hour or so later I called my friend Mary up telling her about what happened with Daniel cancelling our plans. She tried to cheer me up and asked me to come with her to see a movie. I was reluctant at first but I later agreed. We got to the cinema and as we were buying tickets to enter, I saw a guy holding a girl and entering the showroom. It was not just any guy, I didn’t see his face but I was sure that it was Daniel.

When I told Mary about it as we were settling for the movie, she told me I was wrong insisting that Daniel was just on my mind too much. I agreed with her even though my mind still bugged me. When the movie was over and everyone was stepping out, I saw the the same  guy again holding the same girl and laughing.  This time, I was convinced it was Daniel. I dragged Mary to get to where he was so I could see his face. When I did, it was truly him… It was Daniel.

At that point, I knew what was going on and I had never been so broken. It felt as if my heart was ripped out of my chest (I wanted to faint). As if someone tapped him, he just suddenly looked my way. He seemed confused at first then, he relaxed. He started walking towards me(still holding the girl!) I wanted to scream. When he got to me, (Mary was busy looking at him in shock), he just asked me, sounding angry what I was doing there.

I couldn’t even talk, I was just staring at him, tears stinging my eyes. I was waiting for an explanation. Then the worst happened, he introduced me to the girl he was with as his girlfriend. He then whispered something to her and she left. I still didnt speak I was still staring at him in disbelieve . He said that that was what he was planing on telling me the week we were supposed to meet, he was very sorry but we were growing apart and blah blah blah.

My world went still at that point and all I could hear after that was Mary raining insults in Yoruba on him. At that point, I had already started crying, I just ran to the toilet so no one would see me and I cried ehhhh. That was the worst day of my life and I don’t think I had ever cried as I cried that day. For me, things hadn’t been the same since then. Every Valentine’s day reminds me of that horrible day.


SOURCE : GREENNEWS.NG

No comments:

Post a Comment