Tuesday 29 December 2015

A Saint in Disguise 2



Kamsi who was just too tired and at the same time eager to hear her friend spill the beans agreed to the terms.
"Oya I agree...Where are you off to?"
"Do you remember Engr.John?" Esomo asked rather impatiently.
"Errrmmm..yes I think I do. The man you met during your Abuja trip?" Her eyes were already lit up with excitement.
"Yeah baby! I have an appointment with him at Monty Suites by 6pm. His friends are in town too, so I think it's going to be fun-filled". She said, flashing her a wink. "Mind joining me?"

The moment Kamsi heard all these, her countenance changed and as if acting on impulse, hot flushes of anger and disappointment ran through her veins. She just couldn't help but wonder why Esomo felt this was the only way she could see herself through school singlehandedly. For her, it was out rightly disgusting.

As she studied her friend with a very livid expression on her face, the exact words she wanted to say almost dropped out of her mouth but she remembered the promise she made earlier and decided to rather take things calmly.

"By 6pm? But it's only few minutes after 4, why the hurry?". She took a quick glance at the oval-shaped wall clock to make sure her timing wasn't out of place.
"Well, I've got a few clients to catch up on before then. I've got to hurry babe". It was obvious she was now turned off by the probing questions and replied them dismissively as she gave Kamsi the look that suggested i-don't-care-what-you-think.

Kamsi was not sure if this was a good time to discuss what she had in mind with Esomo considering she was in a hurry to go about her business. No. It was better she did this now, another mind told her. With that, she called the attention of her friend who was already set to leave.

"Errrmmm..." her voice trailed off and she just wasn't sure how to begin.
"Look, don't worry. I know what your problem is. I'll be back before 8am tomorrow and be sure I'll be back with goodies ".
She'd picked up her clutch bag, blowing her a kiss when Kamsi recomposed herself and decided she just had to do this.

"Babe, this isn't about goodies or whatever you think. I just want to talk to you. Can you spare 5minutes?".
Even though all the while, Esomo didn't pay close attention to her friend, she recognised the seriousness in her voice and with one quick turn, was astonished to see the look Kamsi had on her face.
"Ah! What is it? Why that sorry look on your face? Hope say person no die "

Kamsi looked at her, with teary eyes and not sure how to begin to ask her this favour. She just couldn't imagine what would have become of her without Esomo. She tried to find the right words but found herself stuttering - maybe because she felt she was pestering Esomo with her too many problems or because Esomo was beginning to grow impatient with her silence.

"You know you can always talk to me. Just spill it, you really don't have to select words here, just say it". Esomo who had by now seen the morose expression written over Kamsi bent to reassure her and folded Kamsi's hand slightly into hers.
"I'm really sorry I have to bother you with my problems all the time, but right now, I'm at crossroads. I don't know..." her voice broke off and she began to dob lightly.

"I know what the problem is. You need cash".

With that, Kamsi felt relieved that she didn't have to go through explaining herself and breaking into sobs intermittently. With Esomo, the situation was going to be different this time, because for Pete's sake she wasn't some kind of doling machine that doled out money whenever it was needed and most of all not for someone who never appreciated her means of income.

"Do I look stupid? Do I seem foolish to you?? Or better still, do I bear any resemblance with Mother Theresa?"
Kamsi was amazed and thrown off balance at the same time with Esomo's sudden outburst who by now had stood up, hands akimbo and looked like she demanded answers to questions that sounded rhetoric.

"No nau.. it's not like that"
"It's like what eh... tell me". Esomo cut in angrily.
"I go out there everyday, I meet with different kinds of people, I try to play my cards well. You think I do it for the fun of it?". She said batting her eyelids in a manner that seemed unusual to Kamsi.
"I honestly don't know what you take me for. All you do is attend lectures, eat my food, sleep, and thereafter preach to me". Esomo barked.

Kamsi's face had by now turned red with embarrassment, she bent her head slightly and tried to mutter something but her voice was quickly drowned by Esomo's.
"See eh.. I don't know how long this would continue but trust me, the earlier you learnt how to fish the better for us".

She picked up her clutch purse, angrily left the room, and slammed the door which almost left Kamsi's ears deafened with its thunderous sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment